Gen-Z is a new data-access technology designed to provide high-speed, low-latency, memory-semantic access to data and devices via direct-attached, switched or fabric topologies. It will allow business and technology leaders to overcome current challenges with the existing computer architecture and provide future opportunities for innovative solutions that will be open, efficient, simple and cost-effective.
Gen-Z fabric utilizes memory-semantic communications to move data between memories on different components with minimal overhead. Memory-semantic communications are extremely efficient and simple, which is critical to delivering optimal performance and power consumption. Each Gen-Z component can support up to 264 bytes of addressable memory.
Gen-Z components use low-latency read and write operations to directly access data, and use a variety of advanced operations to move data with minimal application or processor involvement. Gen-Z delivers maximum performance without sacrificing flexibility and can be supported by unmodified operating systems and application middleware. It also supports co-packaged solutions, cache coherency, PCI and PCIe technology, atomic operations, and collective operations.
Other key attributes of Gen-Z technology include:
- Supports multiple topologies – including co-packages, point-to-point, mesh and swtich-based
- Supports a very robust, flexible and extensible data access protocol
- Supports two of the highest volume physical layers
- Uses a highly optimized, memory-semantic protocol that supports multiple use cases
- Supports up to 64-way memory interleaving across a set of point-to-point or switch attached memory components
- Supports hardware-enforced isolation and built-in security
- Supports nearly any routing algorithm
- Supports congestion management
Gen-Z fabric not only simplifies every interface, but also provides the building blocks to create high-performance, low-latency solutions where every device in the system speaks the same memory-semantic language. Gen-Z’s open specifications allow Gen-Z to be integrated into any solution free of charge and with no constraints on re-use.
For in-depth information about Gen-Z technology – including overviews of ethernet messaging, block storage, and DRAM and storage-class memory – view our white papers. Watch our intro video for an overview of Gen-Z technology.