Gen-Z is an open-systems fabric-based architecture designed to interconnect processors, memory devices and accelerators. The fabric enables resource provisioning and sharing to support a diverse range of applications and provide flexibility for system reconfiguration as application demands for different resources change.
Gen-Z fabric utilizes memory-semantic communications to move data between memories on different components with minimal overhead. Memory-semantic communications are extremely efficient and simple, which is critical to delivering low-latency, high-bandwidth data transactions.
Gen-Z was developed to enhance existing server solutions and enable new architectures, while increasing performance (high-bandwidth, low-latency), software efficiency, power optimization, security, and industry agility.
Other unique features of Gen-Z Fabric include:
- Gen-Z abstracts memory the memory controller, allowing the IT industry to deploy a wide range of memory media types. This enables multiple generations of memory devices and new storage media to be transparently supported in any system. It also enables customers to independently replace and upgrade components based on their needs — for example, FPGA accelerators, GPU’s, memory modules, NVM modules, etc.
- The fabric can be reconfigured to accommodate varying resource requirements of existing and emerging memory centric applications.
- Components can be taken offline and independently replaced and upgraded without disrupting the active system operation — for example, GPUs, memory modules, NVM modules, etc.
- Gen-Z fabric management is secure and robust. It utilizes industry standard protocols (i.e. MCTP) to enable rapid deployment and ensure compatibility with existing management tools.
- Gen-Z supports a robust hardware-enforced zoning and security framework to protect the fabric from cyber threats.
- Gen-Z interoperability enables the architecture to simultaneously and efficiently transport standard and customized communications between components, which enables customers and vendors to rapidly innovate and deploy new capabilities and services.
Gen-Z fabric not only simplifies every interface, but also provides the building blocks to create high-performance, low-latency solutions where every device in the system speaks the same memory-semantic language. Gen-Z’s open specifications allow Gen-Z to be integrated into any solution free of charge and with no constraints on re-use.
For in-depth information about Gen-Z technology – including overviews of Ethernet messaging, block storage, and DRAM and storage-class memory – view our white papers and educational materials. Watch our intro video for an overview of Gen-Z technology.