You may have noticed some recent changes to the Gen-Z Consortium Specifications Page. Earlier this year, the Consortium donated six Gen-Z-developed mechanical form factor and connector specifications to SNIA SFF.
Contributing these specifications to the SNIA SFF Technology Affiliate (TA) enables a broader range of applications to adopt the innovations developed by Gen-Z, which helps increase volume and drive adoption and innovation. The SNIA SFF-TA owns these specifications and any revisions, updates or enhancements will be owned and managed by the SFF-TA Technical Working Group (TWG).
This is an endorsement of the work completed by the Gen-Z Mechanical Working Group, and reflects the values of the consortium to develop, drive and deliver innovative solutions that can be adopted into applications spaces beyond the realm of Gen-Z.
All donated specifications can be viewed and downloaded on the SFF website (sort by ID number for easy searching). Below is a list of all the donated specifications with their SFF ID number and name, and previous Gen-Z name:
- SFF-TA-1017 – Vertical SFF-TA-1002 Connector SI Test Board Specification (Gen-Z Vertical Scalable Connector Compliance Test Board Specification v1.0)
- SFF-TA-1018 – Right Angle SFF-TA-1002 Connector SI Test Board Specification (Gen-Z Right Angle Scalable Connector Compliance Test Board Specification v1.0)
- SFF-TA-1019 – Straddle Mount SFF-TA-1002 Connector SI Test Board Specification (Gen-Z Straddle Mount Scalable Connector Compliance Test Board Specification v1.0)
- SFF-TA-1020 – Cables and Connector Variants Based on SFF-TA-1002 (Gen-Z Scalable Connector Specification 1.2)
- SFF-TA-1021 – PCIe Enclosure Compatible Form Factor (PECFF) Specification (PCIe® Enclosure Compatible Form Factor Specification (PECFF) 1.0)
- SFF-TA-1022 – PCIe Enclosure Compatible Form Factor (PECFF) Thermal Reporting Specification (PECFF Thermal Reporting Specification 1.0)
All donated specifications are currently in draft form on SFF and are available for public review and comment only. SFF membership is not required to download the specifications.
The SNIA SFF-TA TWG develops technical specifications as SNIA Architecture for storage media, storage networks, and pluggable solutions that complement existing industry standards work that encompass cables, connectors, form factor sizes and housing dimensions, management interfaces, transceiver interfaces, electrical interfaces, and related technologies. The specifications enable technology vendors to procure compatible, multi-sourced products and solutions.
For Gen-Z members, all specifications maintained by Gen-Z are available download on Causeway